Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Boy Wants Owls

lovely plush mini owl, choose any color
Original Owls
I have the pleasure of watching my nephew, Gabriel, while we wait for his sister to be born today. Since I do all sorts of craft projects with my nieces, I thought that it would be fitting to do at least one with him. While we were surfing my pinterest.com boards for the breakfast recipe I wanted, he saw the owls I pinned and started hooting. I figured this would be an easy project to do "with" him.  
mini frittatas -- egg base, fill with whatever you you want (bacon, sausage, peppers, cheese).
Breakfast Frittatas



We did make the breakfast first, which turned out to be very good. I liked that I could make a different one for each of us. I wound up putting ham, cheese and broccoli in the adult frittatas and just ham and cheese for Gabriel. The other great thing about these is that I can freeze them and eat them for breakfast this next week.




On to the owls!
I looked through my stash of fabric for fat quarters that were bright and slightly obnoxious. Here's what I did.

Materials:
3 fat quarters of fun fabric
thread to match or coordinate with the fat quarters
1 sheet of felt (or big scraps) in each color: white, black and orange
fiber fill
nylon fill beads (optional)



First I found some bowls that were about the size that I wanted the owls to be and traced them onto printer paper.














Then I cut out 2 of each size for each owl.











I used my salt shaker to trace the whites of the eyes and guessed (and got lucky) with cutting the blacks.

The beaks I cut by folding a rectangle in half and cut the corners off of the open side.

I sewed the whites on, then the blacks. I added the beaks.

Next, I sewed the fronts and backs together with right sides together. I almost forgot to leave a space so that I could turn it back right-side-out.




I turned them right side out, using the point of my large crafting scissors to make sure the ears were entirely turned. I used the large scissors because I didn't want my points to poke through the fabric.




I filled the top half of the owls with fiber fill, taking care to shove some up into the ears. Then, I used a funnel to fill the rest of the owl with the nylon beads. I made sure not to fill them too full.





Here are the finished owls.











Gabriel with his owls. Hoot! Hoot!



The next time that I make some of these (and I most definitely will), I will probably add some rick-rack or maybe some ribbons coming out of the ears. I might even add some of the fun new stones with the cool bedazzler tool I got for my birthday.








For dinner tonight: brown sugar and balsamic glazed pork loin that I'm cooking in the crock pot. Another fabulous find on pintrest.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!